RACING APPEALS ASSISTANT
Full-time, Contract (up to November 1, 2024)
Corporate Affairs, Strategic Policy and Planning Division
Min: $32.55/hr to Max: $38.30/hr
Head Office, Toronto
October 10, 2023
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) is seeking a Racing Appeals Assistant who will be responsible for the administrative, secretarial and program support for the Horse Racing Appeal Panel (HRAP) and its Members.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop, implement and maintain efficient office systems and procedures including files, library, and records.
- Manage the HRAP Panel Members’ electronic calendars and coordinate hearings and meetings.
- Compose and prepare letters, memoranda, forms, notices of hearings/appeals and meetings, affidavits, summonses, endorsements, agendas, orders and legal documents from written drafts or verbal instructions.
- Conduct research and assist in the preparation of decisions and orders arising from HRAP hearings.
- Manage the onboarding and off-boarding of the HRAP Panel Members.
- Develop and implement new policies and processes and ensure tasks are completed on time and in accordance with existing policies and procedures.
- Oversee the attendance and approval process of the Members.
- Undertake the control of departmental finances by tracking HRAP expenditures for the Finance department and and prepare the HRAP finance reconciliation.
- Execute a bi-weekly statistical report in relation to new Notice of Appeals and number of Hearings held to the HRAP Members and Secretariat.
- Monitor all incoming calls, e-mail and correspondence, work with the Manager, HRAP Administration to determine priority and act as necessary to provide appropriate response.
- Respond to administrative inquiries regarding the hearing process.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A general knowledge of law and the administration of regulatory bodies and law tribunals.
- An ability to quickly learn and apply Branch Procedures
- Administrative and Secretarial support experience of office administration, including administrative record-keeping/filing systems.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good knowledge of computer software such as word processors, spreadsheets, presentation software and database management software.
- Must be detailed oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize.
- Ability to work within strict time constraints while maintaining a high volume of work.
- Bilingual (English and French) an asset.
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a criminal background check.
To apply to this vacancy, please submit your application online at our Careers Webpage located at https://www.agco.ca/careers by October 10, 2023.
The AGCO is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer.
The AGCO has the responsibility to lead by example in advancing racial equity and to build a diverse, inclusive, accessible and respectful workplace where every employee has a voice and the opportunity to fully contribute. To this effect, you are encouraged to reflect upon the diversity you would bring to the role within your application including, but not limited to, individuals identifying with one or more of the under-represented groups identified within Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
Disability related accommodation during the recruitment process is available upon request.