Horse Racing Appeal Panel
The Horse Racing Appeal Panel (HRAP) is an independent adjudicative body mandated to hear appeals of decisions made under the Rules of Racing.
The HRAP is committed to providing quality public service to participants in the horse racing industry. The following process ensures that public complaints about the quality of service provided by the HRAP are responded to in a transparent and fair manner.
If you have a complaint, please direct your issue to the proper channel outlined below:
- If you would like to appeal the decision of a steward, judge, veterinarian, race track official, racing association official, licensing agent or officer or employee of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), please use the appeal process which is summarized in the Guide to Appeals section on the Forms and Resources page. A Notice of Appeal form can be found on the Forms and Resources page.
- If your complaint is about an AGCO staff member or if your complaint is regarding the quality of service received when accessing programs and services provided by the AGCO, please use the complaint process described on the AGCO website.
- If you are not satisfied with the outcome of a hearing of the HRAP, please note that this complaint procedure is NOT intended to provide an opportunity to review or reconsider an official decision of the HRAP. If you would like to bring an application for judicial review of a decision of the HRAP, you should consult a lawyer on how to appropriately proceed in that respect.
If you have a complaint about the HRAP, please follow the steps below. Complaints can include issues related to:
- HRAP staff,
- an HRAP Panel Member, or
- the quality of service received when accessing services provided by the HRAP.
- Please raise your complaint with any HRAP staff member. If you have a complaint about a specific HRAP staff member, you are encouraged to speak directly with that staff member to seek a resolution of the issue. If your complaint relates to a Panel Member, this too should be directed to HRAP staff or else you can follow the process outlined in step 2 below.
- If your complaint is not resolved through step 1 or if you are not comfortable raising your complaint directly with an HRAP staff member:
- Please submit a written complaint to the email, fax number or mailing address listed below.
- Include details and any information that might be helpful to understand your complaint.
- Upon receipt of a written complaint, it will be directed to the manager or director of the HRAP Secretariat.
- You will receive a confirmation response within 72 hours and further directions at that time.
- Every effort will be made to resolve your complaint and provide reasons for the result or decision. All concerned parties will be advised of the result of the complaint.
All complaints are kept confidential subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. However, a person who is the subject of a complaint will be informed of the complaint (including the name of the complainant) to allow them to fully review and respond to the complaint.
If you have a question regarding this policy, please contact the HRAP Secretariat through the contact information below.
This policy does not affect your right to raise any concerns with the Ombudsman of Ontario related to your experience with the HRAP. It also does not impact your right of appeal under the Horse Racing Licence Act, 2015 or the right to bring an application for judicial review.
This policy will be sent to you in an alternative format, upon request.
T: 416.326.8700 or 1.800.522.2876 (toll free in Ontario) and follow the prompts.
M: 90 Sheppard Ave E, Suite 200, Toronto On, M2N 0A4